Pages

Friday 11 June 2010

Marsh Harrier and Peregrines

Off the back of a weather forecast for bright sunny conditions I decided to go up to RSPB Leighton Moss, primarily to try and get some pictures of the Marsh harriers but also to try and get some pictures of the Otters reportedly seen. It turned out to be a trying morning, firstly the weather forecast was far from right and it was a bit dull all morning, and secondly I got some great views of the Marsh harriers hunting over the reeds but they didnt come close enough to get decent pictures, except for one unexpected pass by the hide which resulted in a rushed picture that I wasnt ready for, hence the blurring and dark image, but at least I got it. Then on the way back I called in at Warton Crag to have a look at the nesting Peregrines. It was great to watch the male hunting up and down the cliff face, harassing the nesting Jackdaws. Again the photos were not great due to the distance they were up the cliff, but a real treat to watch nonetheless. And the otters no doubt appeared after I had left the hide having sat there for 2 hours!!

If only I had been ready for this male Marsh Harrier coming past the hide!!!

Photobucket

There was not a lot else out on the lakes, over on the coastal pools outside the Eric Morecambe hide there were quite a few Black tailed godwits and a pair of little Egrets.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had heard that a pair of Peregrines always nested on the steep cliffs of Warton Crag, so as I was passing I went in to have a look and found the pair, the female sat above the nest and the male off to the right.

Photobucket

Talking to a guy who had been watching for a while, he informed me there are two chicks, and I had just missed a feed, typical!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a while the male bird was up in the air and hunting up and down the cliff, harassing the many Jackdaws that are nesting, looking to get to their chicks no doubt.

Photobucket

They are so quick, especially when they go right high and drop with their wings folded back, I am amazed I caught the shot below as it drops like a stone.

Photobucket

No luck this time, so he perched up away from the nest for a rest and preen.

Photobucket

Next trip is up to Bassenthwaite to see the nesting Ospreys.

1 comment:

  1. Some excellent images Gary....never mind not being ready for the Marsh Harrier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by, any comments you may have are greatly appreciated.
Gary