Pages

Thursday 15 April 2010

Sand Martins

It seems like ages since I was last out with the camera, so it was a nice sunny afternoon yesterday so I was off out to the banks of the River Ribble near walton-le -Dale, too hopefully get some pictures of Sand Martins that are nesting in the steep sandy banks of the river. I wasnt sure how close I could get without upsetting the birds so I scrambled down to the waters edge some distance away and slowly moved closer. The birds were not put off by my presence at all, and as long as I remained nice and still I got to within about 15yards. For about 100 yards along the bank the birds have excavated their nesting burrows and there were hundreds of martins coming in and out, so I thought the best plan was to concentrate on a small area of burrows and not get too distracted about movement further away. They are exceptionally quick moving birds and are in and out of the burrows in a blink of an eye, but quite a few settled at the opening of the burrow for some nice shots and I did get some action shots although due to their high speed I couldnt get sufficient shutter speed to really freeze them but was happy with what I got.

Todays objective, the Sand Martin

Photobucket

Todays location the banks of the River Ribble, near Walton le dale

Photobucket

Best plan of attack was to concentrate on a group of burrows that the birds were actively in and out of.

Photobucket

And with a little patience got some nice shots

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A bit of tunnel excavating going on here!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They fire out of the burrows so quickly it was difficult to get shots of them leaving the burrows, but by repositioning I could see more into the burrows and their heads appear as they left

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A great couple of hours by the river watching these lovely acrobatic birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, any comments you may have are greatly appreciated.
Gary