Pages

Saturday 16 January 2010

A very wet Martin Mere

Having got my new 500mm lens I was dead keen to get out and use it, but it was a bit of a blow as the weather conspired against me, a really murky morning interspersed with heavy rain, but nevertheless got to Martin Mere and dodged the rain from hide to hide. The only downside to the poor light conditions was only being able to use low shutter speeds which meant the photos were not as crisp as I wanted, but there will be other days. I was hoping to see a Woodcock that had been recently seen there, I am not sure but I think one did fly over me but I couldnt swear if it was or a snipe. Got a fleeting glimpse of a Water Rail, but nothing else spectacular. But I love Martin Mere, and could spend hours watching the Whooper Swans. Got chatting to one of the volunteers who pointed out a Whooper (T47) who has reached the grand old age of 19 and still going strong, thats some going making the annual trip from Iceland and back for the last 19 years.

The morning didnt start well with heavy rain, but the forecast said it would improve!

Photobucket

One of this years juvenile Whooper Swans

Photobucket

The Mere was still mostly frozen over, one way to keep one foot warm!

Photobucket

When they are stood like this they look such a proud bird.

Photobucket

Landing on one of the small unfrozen parts of the Mere.

Photobucket

Lots of Whoopers coming in for the additional lunchtime feed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Majestic birds in flight

Photobucket

Air breaks on for an ice landing!!

Photobucket

A bit of mutual bonding

Photobucket

Not very easy to slow down when landing on the ice

Photobucket

As I mentioned above this Whooper T47 is 19 years old, she doesnt look it.

Photobucket

Feeding on the grain put out and on the potatoes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The afternoon saw the weather and light improve slightly, and the sun on this Shoveller really shows off its colours.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As it turned its head you get a real appreciation of a bill developed for its purpose of sifting for its food.
Photobucket

I saw lots of tree sparrows today, but all were skulking in the undergrowth which posed a challenge to get a picture in the poor light, ok but could have been sharper!

Photobucket

Stumbled on this rather tame Pheasant, previous experience has shown me that they are off when they see or hear you coming.

Photobucket

Last photo for this post is a beautiful Duck which posed nicely on the ice for me, a Pintail.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I don't know the first thing about birds but love your photos as usual Gary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos from Martin Mere especially of the Whooper Swans. Hope you are going to enter the annual Nikon competition at WWT. Jen (MM volunteer)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by, any comments you may have are greatly appreciated.
Gary