Pages

Wednesday 25 November 2009

RSPB Marshside

Last Friday I made the trip to RSPB Marshside near Southport, a very windy day but dry which was a blessing after all the rainy days before. I hadnt gone there with anything in mind but had hoped to see a water rail that I have seen there before, but I was very surprised with the number of birds on the reserve. As far as you could see it was full of Widgeon, lapwings and mainly Greylag and Canada geese. The rarer species took some searching out, and those I did see included Snipe and Little Egret, but no water rail. A few photos to follow but a lot was some distance from the hide, I am hoping father christmas is generous this year, and i can invest in a 500mm lens - heres hoping!!



Photobucket



Large flocks of Lapwing and Starling, constantly up in the air then settling down again until disturbed again.



Photobucket



It took a while before I saw this Snipe that was pretty much straight in front of me, but its excellent camouflage meant I didnt notice it for a while.



Photobucket



The majority of the geese today where Canadas and Greylags but managed to get some nice flight shots.



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



All around in the distance huge flocks where on the move as they where disturbed off the marsh.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, any comments you may have are greatly appreciated.
Gary